Top Alternate or Retro Uniforms in the Pros (#NFL, #NBA, #MLB, #NHL)
I’ve always loved wearing jerseys, especially when it was acceptable and a craze when I was in high school during the mid-2000s. Here’s some of my favorite alternate jerseys in the major leagues, NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL.
I think most of the alternate uniforms are terrible, like the Steelers’ bumble bee uniforms or the Packers’ nondescript blue and brown look. But, I have to say this is my list (h/t SI.com):
- LA/St. Louis Rams’ yellow and blue combo
- San Diego Chargers’ baby blue and white
- New England Patriots red, white and blue
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers Orange Julius uniforms
- Atlanta Falcons’ red helmet look, which they wore when they last made the Super Bowl before losing to the Denver Broncos and John Elway.
It used to be an alternate, but I love the old-school tribute to the new-school Washington Bullets. The name change from the Bullets to the Wizards for politically correct reasons hasn’t help the franchise make it to the Finals since their last shot in the late 70s.
- Washington Bullets
- Phoenix Suns purple and scorching sun look
- Golden State Warriors t-shirt jersey, just like how it’s simple. Not a big fan of t-shirt jerseys but I like this one for some reason.
- Indiana Pacers/Chicago Bulls pinstripes. Great days of gritty basketball.
- Orlando Magic pinstripes…remind me of the Shaq/Penny Hardaway days
I’m a big Washington Nationals fan and I love the patriotic feel to their blue home uniforms, usually worn for the Fourth of July.
- Washington Nationals’ patriotic blues
- Tampa Rays powder blue look
- I’m a sucker for the San Diego Padres camo uniforms
- Baltimore Orioles’ orange
- Arizona Diamondbacks’ purple and white combo from the early 2000s because it reminds me when the Yankee dynasty ended. No other reason.
- Washington Capitals’ home red, white and blue
- Edmonton Oilers’ black-and-silver Oil Drop, don’t ask me why because I can’t tell you why.
- Buffalo Sabres’ blue-and-yellow buffalo and sabre look
- Boston Bruins’ bear face
- Vancouver Canucks blue-and-green/2000s Dallas Stars/New York Rangers Lady Liberty
What do you think about my list? What were some of your favorites?