Worst High School Football Season in Maryland? Maybe
A friend of mine posted a question on Twitter about a local Maryland high school football team in Montgomery County, which is my high school alma mater. Here’s his Retweet of a friend of his:
It got me thinking, are they THAT bad?! So I took a look online at the Washington Post and found the following graphic:
After crunching some numbers, here’s what I found out:
- Col. Zadok Magruder’s football team has been outscored 342-63, with 41 of the 63 points coming vs. Rockville (a 64-41 loss).
- They’ve scored in only FOUR of nine games.
- They have a 1-8 record, 0-4 in conference.
- They have one game remaining in the season, but missed out on a game vs. Wheaton, which is another struggling team sitting at 0-5 in conference play, 1-8 overall.
- Wheaton may have an identical record, but there’s several key differences: they’ve only been outscored 294-76 and scored in all but two of their nine games (unlike Magruder).
Verdict: It’s not the WORST season in Montgomery County high school football history, but it’s one of the worst in recent memory.